Leaker: Apple to Stick With Lightning Over USB-C for 'iPhone 12' Before Going Port-Less Nex...
Apple will use a Lightning port instead of USB-C in the upcoming "iPhone 12," but it will be the last of Apple's flagship phones to do so, with models set to combine wireless charging and a port-lessSmart Connector system for data transfer and syncing from 2021.
The above claim comes from occasional Apple leaker and Twitter user "Fudge" ( @choco_bit ), who last monthshared alleged leaked iPhone 12 images showing a revised rear camera array with LiDAR scanner, a smaller front notch, and Home screen widgets.
Fudge claims that Apple has testediPhone prototypes with USB-C ports, but that these models "won't be making it to production." Instead, Apple will stick with Lightning for one more year before replacing the port with a Smart Connector.
Shame the USB-c prototype iPhone 12's arent making it to production. 1 more year of lightning 拾 Oh well, at least smart connector on 13 series — Fudge (@choco_bit) May 25, 2020
Indeed, if wireless charging technology improves in the interim, Apple could potentially get rid of wired charging all together – and rumors do indicate Apple will release an iPhone without a Lightning port in 2021.
According to Apple analystMing-Chi Kuo, the highest-end iPhone model coming in 2021
will offer a "completely wireless experience." Charging would, presumably, be done all wirelessly through charging accessories, Qi-based or otherwise.
The addition of a Smart Connector, however, is a separate rumor. The use of a Smart Connector could conceivably complete the transition to a totally wireless system for iPhone, with everyday charging and data transfer occurring over induction and wireless, and the Smart Connector providing a way to attach accessories and cover restore and recovery needs via special adapters.
for clarification, smart connector thing on 13 series wont be the intended way to charge. Youll be expected to go wireless charging mainly. D6x series (iphone 13 series) hasnt really begun proper development yet so iphone magsafe more of a plan atm. Portless is coming either way — Fudge (@choco_bit) May 26, 2020
All of this could of course be irrelevant in the event that Apple surprises everyone and launches an iPhone 12 this year with USB-C, suggesting that's where its future lies. Given the course and aim of Apple's iPhone development, that seems unlikely, but we won't know for sure until September or October, when Apple is expected to launch its latest flagship lineup.
Rumors have suggested Apple will complete its transition to an all-OLED iPhone lineup in 2020 with one new 5.4-inch device, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch handset. The 6.7-inch iPhone and one 6.1-inch model are thought to be higher-end OLED devices with triple-lens cameras, while the 5.4 and 6.1-inch models will be lower-end iPhones with dual-lens cameras and a more affordable price tag.
Related Roundup:iPhone 12
- Phil Schiller Moving on to Become 'Apple Fellow,' Greg Joswiak Taking Over as Marketing SVP
- Apple Bumps iMac Pro to 10-Core Processor on Base Configuration
- Apple Seeking to Build China-Based iPhone Supply Chain Exclusively for Chinese Market
- Apple Shares Requirements for Default Third-Party Browser and Email Apps With Developers
- Apple Explains Why You Might See 'Not Charging' When a Mac is Plugged In
- Apple Encourages Developers to Use iOS 14's New App Attest API to Protect Against Security ...
- Google Launches Pixel 4a, a $349 iPhone SE Competitor
- Apple May Launch This Year's Delayed 'iPhone 12' Lineup in Two Stages, With 6.1-inch Models...
- 'Today at Apple' Creative Sessions Return to Apple Stores in China
- Apple Card Deferred Payment Program Extended Through August
- Original iPad Mini From 2012 Now Considered 'Vintage' by Apple
- Microsoft Shutting Down Cortana App for iOS and Android
- Apple Smartphone Shipments Grow as Huawei Takes Top Spot in Q2 2020
- Apple Watch Series 6 to Feature Blood Oxygen Monitoring
- Apple in 2011 Considered Collecting a 40% Fee From Some Subscription Apps
- Apple Store App Now Offers iPhone Comparisons, New 'For You' Tab
- Arizona Attorney General Leading Multi-State Probe on Apple iPhone Throttling
- Apple Was Fastest Growing Smartphone Brand in China in Second Quarter, Buoyed By Strong iPh...
- Just How Small Will the 5.4-Inch iPhone 12 Screen Be? Try It Out for Yourself
- Apple's Second Retail Location in Thailand Removes Temporary Paneling Ahead of Imminent Gra...